Helen Odams is a local Towcester Guide. In 2015 her Guide group was approached by Girlguiding Midlands regarding overseas Girl Guide trips. Helen expressed interest in joining the team challenge trip to the USA, she was successful in the selection process and as a consequence Helen has been fundraising to pay for the trip and has so far raised £2,300.
The Rotary Club of Towcester are delighted to have been able to add to Helen’s funds by giving her some money towards her trip which should be a life changing experience.
Helen has never done any fundraising before but she has certainly taken it all in her stride having organised the following to generate funds:
- a sponsored abseil down the Northampton lift tower
- Guess how many ping pongs in a jar at the Weedon Weekender and Gt Doddington school Christmas Fair
- Asking friends to collect 20p pieces in Smartie tubes
- Running a tuck shop at the Guides
- Doing gardening
- Organising a music story quiz
- With other members of her group – organising a “Bollywood Spectacular” curry evening – £15 a ticket with a raffle
Helen has also received donations from local councillor Chris Lofts and the Leslie Sell Charitable Trust which supports scouts and guides.
The trip will involve:
- meeting in Hyde Park, London for the opening ceremony before flying to New York for 10 days
- Going to three different States in America and then to Canada
- Doing various challenges along the way which will all be about learning and team work – some of these will be:
- helping with a soup kitchen at the Hard Rock Cafe
- taking a selfie with President Obama and then attempting to get your picture shown on the big screen at Times Square NY
- dressing up as “Where’s Waldo” and selling cookies and tea
- Having a closing ceremony in Central Park before flying back to the UK
We would like to wish Helen a fabulous, exciting, educational and interesting trip and we look forward to hearing all about her experience when she returns.